Bury is a market town in Greater Manchester, England. The population of the metropolitan borough of Bury was estimated at 78,723 in 2015.
The town is located within the historical county of Lancashire. It developed as a textile-production mill town during the Industrial Revolution. The market in the open air, known for its black pudding, is notable.
The town is also home to Sir Robert Peel, who served as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and created the Metropolitan Police and the Conservative Party. Outside Bury parish church is a memorial to Peel, while Holcombe Hill overlooks the borough on account of a statue erected in his honor.
The village is 5.5 miles (8.9 km) east of Bolton and 5.9 miles (9.5 km) southwest of Rochdale, in Greater Manchester, approximately 6 miles (10 kilometers) from the M60 motorway junction 16 on the A666(M). It has a Manchester Metrolink tram stop 9.3 miles (15 kilometers) northwest of Manchester City Centre.)
Bury was initially formed around the ancient market place, but there is evidence of activity dating back to the Roman period. A Roman urn containing a number of tiny bronze coins dating from AD 253–282 and discovered north of the current town centre has been recovered at Bury Museum.
The route from Manchester (Mamucium) to Ribchester (Bremetennacum) that ran through Radcliffe and Affetside was included in Agricola’s road-building program. The modern Watling Street, which runs west of the town center, follows the line of the Roman road almost exactly.
The Rock, the road that runs beside the river and its dam, is named for the rock on which it was built. The River Irwell formerly proceeded by the foot of this rock from which the road ‘The Rock’ takes its name, which provided a platform for the fortified manor house, parish church and a few homes tucked around the village square.
Bury Castle, a medieval manor house constructed in 1469, would have been the most impressive structure in the early settlement. It was located on high ground overlooking the Irwell Valley and offered great defensive prospects.
Despite geography, the Pilkington family sided with the House of York during the Wars of the Roses. Thomas Pilkington was taken prisoner and later put to death when Richard III was killed at Bosworth in 1485. The Lancastrian Duke of Richmond, Henry VII, was crowned after the battle, and as a consequence, Sir William Stanley made him Earl of Derby. As a result of his family’s support, Thomas Stanley was created Earl of Derby and received possession of the Bury Pilkington property, among other things.
The Earls of Derby were originally descended from the de la Hay family, who built Knowsley Hall in Liverpool’s west end. The family maintains a connection with Bury in a variety of ways: the Derby High School is named after them. The 18th Earl of Derby was patron and the school’s badge was inspired by the Earl of Derby’s coat of arms when the institution opened in 1959. The 15th and 16th Earls both supported Bury Grammar School financially and in terms of land, and one of the school houses is named Derby in their honour. The Derby Hall and Derby Hotel were formerly located in this town.
From the 1970s, until now, the old Castle Walls have been buried beneath the city outside of the Castle Armoury.
The number of people living in Bury increased by around a thousand between 1801 and 1830, from 7,072 to 15,086. The factories, mines, and foundries with their spinning machines and steam engines began to dominate the landscape during this period. In 1822 the Bury Savings Bank was established on Silver Street under government supervision and became TSB (now known as TSB).